Sunday, January 15, 2012

ahhh and life begins to speed up...

This weekend marks the end of "freedom as I know it". ((As I type, I am covering the second lacrosse practice of the day))

The business and scheduling of college athletics, or athletics in general, is just amazing. If you aren't aware of the "structure" of college athletics it goes like this.... coaches/athletic directors plan games about 1-2 years in advance. Coaches plan practice schedules about one week in advance. (we are fortunate that coaches are required to plan a a month ahead, kinda - they have to turn in schedules by the 20th of each month). Now, what this means for the support staff is... well, it means that we need to show up whenever something is scheduled. This means Sundays, holidays, mornings, midnights... whatever is scheduled. And it is not much fun. (polite understatement)

At a small instritution, the "cross-over" schedules are the worst. Fall sports (then add basketball and off-season spring sports) then when we come back from winter break, Basketball in season (then add spring sports and fall off-season sports). PHEW - I'll tell you what that means: A lot of practices + 2 locations + classes in session + minimal staff = lots of drinking.

wait, I meant lots of adjusting. i think....

add to this snow, cold weather and the desire for coaches to practice outside just because we have beautiful new turf (thank you, brother). can't wait til next year when there's lights out there too!


I feel like I could go on and on about how crazy this lifestyle is, but the reality is that I picked it. I chose to go into something so insane because I LOVE what I do. Mike and I were just having this discussion today, Normal people don't work on weekends? Most people don't work on Sunday afternoons? Weird... I don't know what I would do with a 9-5(ish) M-F job, it would be very weird, but I'm sure something that will be desired someday.


With all of this being said - I am GREATLY looking forward to things starting back up this week. I can't wait to see all the athletic training students tomorrow in our meeting, they bring so much bittersweet joy to my life :)
We will have a great year with all of our sports this season and all of the academics with our AT students. I am looking forward to teaching two classes - it's such an amazing thing to be able to give back to the profession and give back to the program that gave me my education. If you've never mentored or taught, you should - the reward is incredible and it's even better to know that you have helped others.

So with this... BRING IT ON SPRING - YOU CAN'T BREAK ME!!!!
I have faith that God is living out a divine plan through me. Have faith in God. -Mark 11:22

No comments:

Post a Comment